Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Shard: (1+1+2)

Precursor: Never give out your favorite secret. Then other people might have fun with it instead of you.


Body: There is much to be said of keeping secrets. But most of the same can be said of lying. I try not to get in too much of a habit of doing either. But there are times when it's for everyone's benefit. And times when it really only benefits you. Take costumed vigilantes, for example.

The term "secret identity" is a commonly used and accepted term. But it's not one that I am terribly comfortable with. To me secret implies and is connected to lying. Usually, in order to keep one you must tell the other. Deception at its finest.

But that's an implication I don't like to associate with some of my favorite heroes. Like Superman, or Spider-man. Both of them try to stand for good and right. But as every child can tell you, secrets and lies aren't consistent with good behavior. Yes, there are things not everyone needs to know, but I usually consider those personal, not secret. There's no conspiracy or malice, just things I don't need other people to know about.

So, in the case of secret identities, I'm sure there's a better description of the situation. Maybe cover identity, or multiple identities. Not really keeping things from people, but not putting the information out in the open. Honestly, it's easier to keep people of even suspecting things if you stop thinking of them as secrets, anyway.

I don't mean they should offer full disclosure to anyone interested, but just don't talk about actively try to hide it. People will be less suspicious of you that way.


The End: So, that's enough for such pointless nonsense. But I want to leave you with a couple of thoughts. One: I'm awesome, it's OK to be jealous of me. And two:

No comments:

Post a Comment