Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Shard: The Eleventh

Precursor: We live in an interesting time.

Body: Our technology has developed to a point where anybody can find out at least a basic level of information on virtually any subject. Most of the time people can do this anywhere, at any time. All it takes is typing a few words into your electronic device of choice and you're an instant expert.

The direction this can take us in can unify us as a global entity but usually drives wedges deeper between disparate parties. If we can overcome the petty nature of internet discussions we could probably achieve most anything and maybe even start living on other planets. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

But that's not really what's been on my mind about this access to all of human knowledge. What's grabbed my mind is the fact that we have this access and yet I don't like it.

I don't like that when I ask a person about something I usually get the response, "Look it up." And I really don't like that my response to questions (more often than I'd care to admit) is the same. I do try to look it up for myself, if I'm curious about the thing, but that's not the point. The point is that we seem less inclined to discuss things or even answer questions when it's more convenient to just have someone go away and leave us to our Facebook games.

This isn't exclusive to internet searches. I've had people that were supposed to know more about a particular subject answer my questions with "what does the literature say?" Some of them do this because they think that I'll learn the information better if I look it up myself. Or perhaps it'll be more satisfying for me.

No matter their reason I still usually end up staring at the suggested literature or internet search absorbing absolutely nothing. I've always learned better (and there's not many people that I know that don't) from observing another person. From listening to them, watching them perform it, and then doing the thing myself. This loss of human interaction is jarring.

Which brings me to the next part; when I ask a person a question it's usually because I want their answer. I want their take on a thing and if I'm not sure of what they're saying I can ask them to clarify whatever I'm not sure of. And this leads to something wonderful. Something that every person can benefit from: conversation.

Conversation and discussion keep us connected to each other in a way that written word typically doesn't. We get to learn from another person and, if properly engaged, help another person learn, too. I love conversation. I may not always go out of my way to talk to people, but when I get a chance to have a real discussion, a true interchange of ideas, with somebody I ride that hurricane for all it has to offer. I'm also a bit of a smart-aleck, so I enjoy the opportunity to agitate people.

Don't misunderstand me. I love creating. I love drawing, writing, even building things. I have nothing against the written word, but information is something I want from a person or to be able to discuss with a person. And there's some things that an internet search just won't accommodate. For instance, if you've got a wedding or potential birth pending, I don't think that I should read about it on the preferred social media before I hear it from your mouth. Of course, if we don't really ever talk, that's different.

And I think I've gone on rambling long enough. I tend to do that unless somebody stops me. Yet, another good reason to communicate in person.

The End: So, if somebody asks you a question, try giving an actual answer before suggesting they look it up. Also, before I give up your attention I have a little bit of a request.

I'm working on a project and would appreciate some assistance. If you strip away the names of the various religions found throughout history around the world, what kinds of things make each of those religions unique? Some religions require animal sacrifices, other's pray to various deities. I want to know what kinds of things  you can think of that make religions what they are.

And here's a couple of things to think about when you're not thinking about that:



No comments:

Post a Comment