Friday, November 9, 2012

Shard: 8

Precursor: I over-think about the weirdest things.

Body: Lately, for some reason, I've been thinking about Batman and Spider-man. This isn't unusual in and of itself, I think about costumed goofballs constantly. This most recent consideration, however, is a little more precise.

I think I realized one of the reasons I prefer Spidey over Bats. I've always like the friendly neighborhood chap over the caped coconut, but something struck me. Spider-man, with all of his super powers is more human than Batman, the world's greatest (at least richest) detective. I find it easier to put myself in Spider-man's shoes, well tights, than Batman's cowl.

Let's go over the two characters, shall we?

Batman: Lost his parents as a child, obsesses over the loss, takes his inherited fortune and turns it into a form of violent therapy while also cleaning up the mean streets of Gotham. He trains long and hard to become an amazing fighter. He studies devoutly to become an expert at many sciences. He's mysterious, spooky, and kind of a jerk. He invests money into lots of specialized gadgets that seems to spring up at just the right time and place. And let's not forget that magnificent ride, the Batmobile.

Spider-man: Lost his parents as a child, gets taken in by his aunt and uncle that dote on him, they're working class at best. Pete has a great knack for science, however and seems to be a shoe-in for a college scholarship. He has a chance to make something of himself. Due to his scientific curiosity he attends a demonstration and gets bit by a radioactive spider. This spider grants him super powers that are (loosely) based on a spider's abilities. He tries using these powers to make a quick buck and loses his uncle. The loss of his uncle drives him to fight bad guys in the streets in brightly colored pajamas. He's still poor and tries taking care of his sickly aunt while still trying to deal with being a teenage geek in high school.

Now, why would I be able to identify with a radioactive freak over a highly skilled person? Well, because of the money factor. Spidey may have powers, but he's had to struggle and earn everything he has in his life. Things tend to suck, but he tries to make them better without succumbing to corruption.

Bruce was born rich and has an endless supply of money and even connections he can use to achieve whatever he wants. he lost his parents, but still has his father figure, Alfred that's always there to give advice and iron his cape. Spidey (at least for a long time) had no confidants to help him.

But the issue isn't with family, it's the fact that I'm more likely to get bit by a magically radioactive spider and get powers than I am to suddenly inherit a fortune. I don't see any money meteors heading my way. And even if I did find a way to get a comfortable amount of money, I'd still have to struggle to maintain that. No time to use it to beat up super-powered ne'er-do-wells.

But if I were suddenly given superhuman abilities, I would likely use them for the greater good. And try to profit off them, sure. I do need a way to survive, after all. But when all is said and done, I wouldn't have the escape of wearing a spooky mask and then living every single man's dreams. It is a bigger stretch of my imagination that I could have that sort of financial resources than for me to suddenly stick to walls.

The End: So remember, being human has nothing to do with super powers, it's about being in touch with the reality that is other people. Or something. I don't know. I tend to ramble without going anywhere useful. Like right now. But as a bonus, here's two pictures of stuff:



No comments:

Post a Comment