Thursday, June 21, 2012

Shard: Of the 6th Kind


Precursor: Why go to a social gathering if you're not going to mingle?

Body: I've got a couple of websites that I check on a somewhat regular basis. Of course everyone does, that's nothing special. However, the discussion forums are what I'm concerned with at the moment.

I love reading through the discussions. I'll try to keep track of what's being said and by which person. There are usually enough people on them that are not internet-stupid that the discussions are usually interesting and even well thought-out, if not always grammatically correct. It's always a good time for me.

But then I start to feel like a stalker. You see, I hardly ever post anything myself. I see so many people that post regularly and I'll even have an opinion. I just don't post anything. I see people that have joined the site years after I did that have more posts. Sometimes it feels like I'm standing outside of somebody's house that has people over and I'm just staring in through the window at them. I just stare and eavesdrop, even though I did receive an invitation. I'm just that much of a creep.

All of that is going on inside my of head. And I keep thinking that I should actually join in. Maybe try to make useful, if not amusing, responses. Some of these people are even looking for emotional support while going through a rough time that I fully understand. Instead of saying, "Hey, buddy. I've been there. It'll get better (for unknown values of better)," or even a helpful suggestion I merely read the consequential posts and figure, "meh, good enough."

To me, it's like creating an email account but never using it. Which I have done before on more than one occasion.

So, anyone out there ever think about this? Any ideas on why people like to know but never interact? Is it that part of us that likes to watch television that's jumping in there? Who knows?

The End: I'll make a resolution right now. It's a real one, not one of those bogus "New Year's Resolutions" that nobody ever intends to actually keep. I resolve to be more interactive on the internet. And maybe even in the physical real world.

Also, two bonus points:
1) I'm looking for suggestions on sock puppet designs/personalities. If you have a good idea, let me know.
2)

3 comments:

  1. I can't say exactly why, but that picture made mee giggle inside!

    And yes, I often think about why I don't post things much...what I have come up with is my own fear that what I post may be taken out of context and then I might have to defend and explain the post. I don't fear that with everybody, but past experiences with just a few persons have done that to my overall experience. There was a small handful of individuals that did such things that "made mee" not post on FB for a while, just as an example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just prefer to be creepy and online stalk people, but what's the point of that if nobody sees you doing it?

    ReplyDelete